Who's getting the new iPhone?
The long awaited nifty gadget is here! In a conference held in Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco today, Apple's CEO Tim Cook helped unveil what would be…(drum roll please!)…the new iPhone 5 (really that's the name).
So what are the features that puts this gadget miles better than it's predecessors? Well, lets go over them shall we?
- Comes in two colors: black & slate and white & silver.
- At 4 inches, the new iPhone 5 has a larger screen (my iPhone 4S is 3.5 inches wide) with 1136 x 640, 360 pixels per inch Retina display screen, a 16:9 aspect ratio allowing more apps on the screen (6 rows as opposed to 5 with the dock).
- This phone is made of glass and aluminum, 18% thinner at 7.6mm, weighs 112 grams and is 20% lighter than it's predecessor.
- iPhone 5 has an A6 chip processor; smaller and faster than my A5 (22% precisely), comes with 4G LTE standard with wireless speeds of 5GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi. They also claimed to have improved on the battery life.
- Camera is still 8mpx, but 25% smaller, includes a Dynamic low light mode that should be better for shooting low light situations with flash (cause my pictures with flash is a mess, I don't even use it). They also included fancy stuff like smart filter and noise reduction for better picture quality and built-in panorama mode for widescreen pictures.
- The dock connector has got a make-over; it's smaller, supposedly faster (compared to the thunderbolt speed on Macs).
- There are three separate microphones (not sure how much mine has) on the front, bottom and the back, supposedly should help Siri's performance.
- Apple supplies noise canceling EarPods with this phone.
So there you have it! Those are the major features. The video above also shows the new iPhone model with the headphone jack repositioned to the bottom as opposed to the top (not sure I like that feature.). I think I'd keep my 4S a little longer, maybe till the 6S or 7 (whatever they decide to call it) comes out next year.
So who's getting the new iPhone (5)?